adventures in Wabeno, Wisconsin.

unironic use of a "Snowmobile Parking" sign
camp fire.
sitting on the dock reading a magazine.
we did a lot of fishing.
dropping in.
record player for the porch.
sunset canoeing.
I'm not sure when it happened, but the time in my life when I could travel to another country and sleep on the floor in a hostel has ended. I'm not high maintenance by any means but when my basic needs aren't met I'm just the worst. It makes me kind of sad to think about the experiences I missed out on, but maybe in fifteen years I'll have an Eat. Pray. Love realization to make-up for lost time. Until then, I'd like my face wash and my almond milk thank you very much.

On our trip to Wisconsin, Tyler was most excited about spending a weekend at his best friend's cabin in the northern part of the state. I thought this sounded awesome (I mean, I once hiked 28 miles in the backwoods of Yellowstone. I'm not that pampered.) but the trip started with me crammed into the backseat of a car THAT HAD NO REAR SHOCKS for four hours with three people I didn't know. I was not in a good place emotionally.

But, after an hour I just "bucked up" and got over the incessant bouncing (... aided, in large part, by a stop at a roadside ice cream stand.) From then on, I was all hot dogs and wiggly worms on hooks and slimy fish scales and squeaky cheese curds and hair that smelled like campfire smoke. I guess I've still got a little adventure left in me, after all. 

(photos) on film with Leica CL and Minolta SRT-101 | Wabeno in Northern Wisconsin

14 comments:

  1. sometimes i think about those adventures that i missed too. a lot. and i promise myself to make up for them too. i need to get by the lake more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Sam! And I absolutely adore that photo of the fishing pole and the bobber (sixth photo down). Reminds me of my hubs, who is a diehard fisherman. We go tent camping fairly often, and my one caveat is clean bathrooms. No outhouses, no holes in the ground, no military showers. A bathroom with a flushing toilet, a real shower, and a sink to wash my face. Reminds me of that line in When Harry Met Sally, "You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance, but you think you're low maintenance." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, oh my gosh that line from When Harry Met Sally gave me such a laugh. I am that worst kind (I relate to that scene where she's ordering in the restaurant a little too much.) I want to be easy going but as I get older I become so particular! I love the idea - and, let's be real, the picture taking - of camping and adventures but you've gotta draw the line somewhere. I think you've got the right idea with functional showers.

      Delete
  3. that first photo looks like a painting. i cannot wait to see wisconsin!! love love love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie, I still need to send you a list of Milwaukee places. When do you leave?

      Delete
  4. Such a treat. Every photo and word just took me to Wisconsin.

    I stayed in a cabin on a lake this summer and I was shocked I enjoyed it so much. I'm trying in life to be more adventurous, spontaneous, and willing- it's all part of my plan to live a more fulfilling life. I wish I had your photography skills to capture the moments like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, after having so much fun over that weekend I was like "wow, I really need to loosen up" because you're so right - life feels fuller and more interesting that way!

      Delete
  5. Ps... your man is so good looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, thank you!! I always tell him "I'm so lucky that your kind heart came in such an attractive wrapper!"

      Delete
  6. I am so obsessed with these shots. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are just so d r e a m y...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gotta love the unironic use of signage - this is LITERALLY for snowmobiles.

      Delete
  8. These photos are so lovely! it looks like the perfect trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos and I love the insight. My best friend is backpacking through South America and I won't even go camping with my boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting, Darling Reader! I read + love each and every one of them. (Anonymous commenting has been turned off due to robots)

ashore All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger